Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Yes, you can afford to eat steak!










I've heard a few people say, from time to time, that eating steak just costs too much. Sure, if you eat at Ruth's Chris every day I may tend to agree with you. That's not realistic for most people, but let's get real -- if you can afford to go eat at McDonalds, you can afford to eat a steak dinner. Let's consider the dinner I made tonight for a perfect example.

1 Organic sirloin steak, 5oz, from Sprouts - $2.34
2 cups of frozen vegetables, also from Sprouts - $1.99
$4.33

Misc - Coconut Oil is about $10 per jar, I used about 1tsp worth and some pepper. Those two together may have a net cost of a quarter!

"But I am a terrible cook"

pfffffffff

Let steak sit out at room temp 30-40min, a bit longer if larger, then season with pepper (I don't use or like salt, but do what you like). Heat skillet medium-high heat, add coconut oil and allow it to melt. Cook steak about 2 min per side for medium rare. Your stove, skillet, thickness of the steak, etc will make this vary a bit. The coconut oil and pepper will put a really nice crust on the steak.

Vegetables...this is so easy! I use a vegetable and fish steamer. Just add water, vegetables, and cook in microwave for about 5-6 min depending on how powerful your microwave is.

Total time - about 8 min! Can you even get in your car and drive to get fast food that fast? Oh, and trust me, the food came out MUCH better than the photo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment